The following are a listing of mental health services and professional organizations. Many of them have local affiliates and offices. Contact them or the United Way for local information.
The following organizations with links to their websites are found in this listing.
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Association for Suicidology
- American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. (AOTA)
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychological Association
- Black Psychiatrists of America
- Employee Assistance Professionals Association
- International Association of Psychosocial Rehabilitation Services (IAPSRS)
- National Association of Social Workers
- National Association of Protection and Advocacy Systems
- National Council for Behavioral Health
- Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, www.aacap.org; Publishes Facts for Families, a pamphlet series on child and adolescent mental health issues.
American Association of Suicidology, www.suicidology.org; Educational materials and accrediting information are available.
American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. (AOTA), www.aota.org; AOTA has packets of fact sheets that explain how occupational therapy can help in long term care in mental health and for depressive disorders.
American Psychiatric Association, www.psych.org; Informational resources for patients and families, psychiatrists, residents and medical students.
American Psychological Association, www.apa.org; Informational and referral resources.
Black Psychiatrists of America, bpaincpsych.org
Employee Assistance Professionals Association, eapassn.org; Information on employee assistance programs.
National Association of Social Workers, www.socialworkers.org; Can provide the names of social workers who are members of the organization and information about the field.
National Association of Protection & Advocacy Systems, http://www.iser.com/NAPAS.html; Information and advocacy services for people with developmental disabilities and for people with mental illnesses.
National Council for Behavioral Health, thenationalcouncil.org; Advocates for policies that ensure people who have mental health and substance use problems can access comprehensive healthcare services; also operates the Mental Health First Aid program.
Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association, psychrehabassociation.org; Promotes the development, support, and dissemination of information about the practice of psychiatric rehabilitation and recovery.