Inappropriate Language or Behavior
1. If the person exhibits inappropriate language or behavior, stay calm and neutral.
2. Give the person physical and emotional space and do not move toward the person.
3. Respond only to appropriate language and behavior.
4. Tell the person, in a calm, friendly, supportive way that his/her behavior is inappropriate.
5. Notify the family, caregiver and/or the appropriate mental health professionals.
6. Assist the person to a restful place to collect him/herself. Someone should sit quietly with him/her until the crisis has passed. If the situation continues in a crisis mode, a family member, caregiver, or the appropriate mental health professional(s) should be contacted.